Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 May 2014

Self-medicated Haze\Remedy For Familial Torture

Knowing I am due to go for a run this evening has prompted me to self-medicate with that incredible drug caffeine.
This is needed thanks to the incredible glee with which my family torture me. First, the youngest Chaos Agent awakes several times in the night, needing me, then Destroyer of Worlds (elder Chaos Agent) arrives to crawl under the duvet and flail herself comfortable at the expense of all others.
Next comes the littlest chaos, the black cat with her Ninja Elephants in tow to join the fun (though thankfully this time she was without a terrified squealing mouse brought in from the fields a gift for FraidyKat's delight).
Through this my darling partner did his very best to help (the Chaos hoard that is), with a light mumbling interspersed by seismic snoring.

*Sigh*, refuge eventually came in youngest's room when I snuck away for a blissful hour's rest while the rest of the family wriggled, grumbled, purred and snored.

Oh Caffeine,
Oh great elixir,
Restorer of brief bites of sanity,
Hero to insomniacs and shift workers.
You win business contracts,
You write disserations,
You keep lond distance drivers on the road,
You start a million meetings every morning.

Oh Caffeine,
Oh great elixir,
You are poison but I don't mind.



DANGER: A good friend of mine once overdosed on caffeine - living off espresso while running a coffee shop - he got tremors first and then he actually passed out. He was lucky it wasn't any worse but he wasn't allowed caffeine again for a very long time.

FraidyKat, therefore, does not condone casual chugging of the nasty stuff, but is happy to keep it to recommended doses as and when required.



Caffeine and Running - a match made in heaven or hell?

For a cure to sleepless fuzzy heads it has it's place, but equally FraidyKat has experimented with using it for training in the past.

Research has found that caffeine has the ability to noticeably increase performance during exercise - just use google scholar and type "caffeine and exercise", loads of published research papers come to that same conclusion.
Of course, if you're already downing half a dozen cups of coffee or cans of redbull a day then you won't notice it, but save it for exercise and it really works.

Two years ago I experimented with supplements, as most casual and professional athletes do, and on the way discovered Reflex Nutrition and their Thermofusion capsules (I stress once again that I don't get paid or encouraged in any way to review or endorse anyone's products - this just my opinion).
Most other brands of so called performance supplements had no obvious effect but this one did.
Unfortunately, one such effect was heartburn (from the pepper I think) but I soon learned to wash the capsules down with a glass of milk and it was fine. The thing is, I also soon learned that my best and most enthused runs happened when I popped these pills - but note I don't drink coffee and only rarely have tea or energy drinks when particularly tired.
It's not cheap, but in this case you get what you pay for and even though I normally only buy things on promotion (google-fu saves FraidyKat money) for the good stuff I will dig deeper and pay full whack - it's a mark of respect that I will pay full price for Reflex products.


The agents of Chaos abound on our Mother Earth, they are in league with the kobolds, gremlins and fairies that all do their best to ruin our lives in smalls ways every day.
There is no known sure fire pesticide, our best defence is to organise and make contingency plans. The Boys Scouts have it right, if you are always prepared then Chaos can not cause a fraction of the disruption it likes.
Remember, a little Chaos will do no harm, it keeps you on your toes and fighting, but deep rooted infections must be countered with preparedness and methodical planning.


FraidyKat Runs - on Caffeine

No comments:

Post a Comment