Search This Blog

Sunday 18 May 2014

Foul weather runner

It's official, FraidyKat doesn't like heat.
Apart from having a supernatural ability to burn on overcast days (factor 50 is how this Kat rolls), I really don't react weĺl to hot weather.
A few weeks ago I wussed out of a run because it was raining and my old running jacket still doesn't fit.

*Sigh* still working on the weight loss - 14kg since December but still the same to go again, it's a long journey.
Now I realise that I would have felt happier getting soaked than getting baked. I must be one of a very few number of people praying for a mild summer.


In any case, the hydration bladder is fantastic and very needed in this melting weather.
I drink a lot while running but the weight of the 2litres of drink I compulsively carry  is evenly distributed on my back instead of lumped in awkward bottles and I don't really feel it.
Yes,  I acknowledge a lot of people carry bottles in their hands and I see an astonishing number of people who apparently run without any liquids (how??? I would collapse before the need of the road without drink).
I simply can't join with the drinkless, it's not for me. To this end I have come up with the following advice - don't buy the cheap random unbranded bladders on ebay. You might get a good one but the chances are you'll get a suspect one and wind up with a soggy back (bitter experience of a bargain hunter).
Only once have I stumped up the cash for a genuine Camelbak and if they weren't so expensive I would stick with them, for both seal of the bladder and quality of bite valve.
Currently, I have a bladder from Mountain Warehouse in my bag. I only went with it because they had a BOGOF in the store but I haven't been disappointed. No leaks (the important thing) but the lever on the bite valve is a little too stiff for easy use on the go. I'm hoping it loosens up with use.


Apparently, I have spent too long watching Doctor Who recently. Statues make me suspicious, I watch them carefully in case they move. It's okay at the moment but if I ever see one blink I'm out of there!


FraidyKat Runs - from hot Summers

No comments:

Post a Comment