Search This Blog

Friday 2 May 2014

New Toy! Trainer review part 1

Or should that be new toys?
I was supposed to go for a run yesterday but I delayed it until today so that I could try out my new acquisition - brand new trainers!
So seriously overdue it's not funny.
Thank the deity of choice that I am strong in the ways of Google-fu.
I badly needed to replace these:
 Note the worn through heels. Once upon a time they were bright white too.
They don't actually look too bad here, but trust me they are worn out.

Once upon a time I wore New Balance trainers. They were good quality, comfortable, runners but the ones I had (don't remember the model) just didn't have the support I needed.
When I went for the above Asics GT2170s(as previously noted they were expertly advised by CoventryRunner) I discovered they were worth every hard earned penny so I wanted to stay with them.

A few hours on Google (in between the usual chaos distractions of family feeding fenzies and goblin infestations) lead me to choose a range of Asics trainers specifically designed for what they rather diplomatically call "larger-framed runners". Since I am, regrettably, in this category it seemed a prudent choice. Since I am also a definite overpronator the Gel-Forte was the logical choice.
 Slight problem - the bank has decreed that my pennies are few and the rrp for these beauties is £115, far in excess of budget.

Time for more Google-fu...
End result -
A pair of last season's Gel-Fortes (oh, fashion disaster my running shoes are the wrong colour! Naturally people will laugh at me for this as I stumble and wheeze by) for the princely sum of £39.99 plus £5 express postage.
These I got from the sale section of Start Fitness, a shop I had not heard of before, but that's no surprise when their physical stores are in Newcastle and Durham (too far north for this FraidyKat, I was born and raised well south of the Thames).
But I shall not let the north-south divid get in the way of a bargain and the delivery was good (DPD are fast becoming my preferred courier, they can actually find my home), quick and there was no damage to my order.

Anyway, now the trainers are on my feet and I declare them comfortable.
I'm glad I went for the wide fitting. They are pretty true to size and I have wide feet.
This evening I will go for my run and give a more in depth verdict but first impressions are that they are well cushioned and supported.


That's the serious stuff out of the way, now I can go back to wondering about the really important things, like the nutritional requirements of an agent of Chaos.
How much does a miniature demonic entity need to eat and do they really need to eat me out of house and home every day?
Either I am housing a Chaos agent or a battalion of hungry kobolds.
There is enough noise for both and enough mess. I need to design a conclusive test to discover which it is.


FraidyKat Runs - for new shoes!


No comments:

Post a Comment