Search This Blog

Saturday 10 May 2014

Instant Gratification Frustration

Once upon a time it was a chore to connect to the internet. Dial up service and getting a cup of tea while the page you wanted loaded.
If you wanted to check your bank balance you had to go into town, find a cash point, hope it was in service, avoid the beggars and then have to slope home with the bad news that you were broke.
These days it's much simpler, take your phone out of your pocket, make sure you have signal, sign in to the app and there you go. You never even got off the sofa, you lazy ****.

So it's very frustrating to be taken back to the go slow but also somehow nostalgic.
Like sitting down with an original Gameboy and playing Tetris. It was blocky and simple and the music was painfully repetitive but it was ssooo addictive - I have wasted days playing that game.

Good old days, but we do seem to have got out of the habit of waiting, even post needs to be next day before noon or we think it's a long time.

So after an adrenaline (and sweat) soaked Defence Lab grading, it was with mixed feelings that I received the news that I and all my classmates would have to wait until our next lesson to find out how we did.

I wanted to know straight away how I had done, I wanted to wait until the next lesson fearing I had messed up.
I realised how accustomed I have become to instant answers, the instant results.

Therein lies the root of the problem with modern attitudes to how we live our lives.
Instant answers, instant results, instant improvement. But that's not what happens outside of our little artificial bubble of technological life.
Reality is mostly much slower on the uptake, it needs repetition and graduation, incremental results too small for us to see as they happen.

There is no magic pill to go from fat to fab, or couch potato to fitness guru.
It's time to forget the fibre optic broadband and go back to dial up.
The end result is just the same, only the loading time is different.


And I got a text message from my instructor earlier (he only made us wait a few hours instead of a few days), I passed :-) We all did, well done to all.



The supernatural is suspiciously quiet today. What is making all the creatures of myth and fable hide away? Is there something hiding in the shadows that's so much worse than they are that it's forced them into hiding? Is this just National Evil Creature's Day Off? Or is my second sight failing me? Perhaps the agents of Chaos are doing their bit and frightening them away from the house , just like little Mogs frightens the mice away.
Hmm, perhaps I need to keep watch for the Elder Chaos Agent leaving Kobolds on the doormat when she should be playing in the sandpit.


FraidyKat Runs - for Tetris


No comments:

Post a Comment