Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 March 2014

The dying art of conversation

It takes very little to convince a modern company not to talk to it's customers.
Emails, automated contact pages "type your query here", phone this number to type more digits than pi to the computer woman's command and wait 30 minutes to get to the option you want, then discover they can't answer you query because the computer says no.
I recently dealt with a courier company who simply cannot find my house and apparently don't give their couriers mobile phones even though they insist on having your phone number. The truly mystifying thing is that they don't even have a phone number to contact them on - their entire website is devoid of any contact details other than the generic fill in the blanks. Perfect to avoid speaking to angry customers who have not received their parcels.
Not that I'm bitter (okay, not much), but it seems to somehow be becoming taboo to actually talk to people.
So it was refreshing yesterday when I had a problem with a parcel delivery (I sent it but apparently it did not turn up at it's destination) to be able to call up and speak to a real person. In fact he was a very helpful real person who was able to find out everything I needed even though I didn't have all the information the computer demanded. He was even able to tell me the exact time (to the minute) the parcel was delivered and who signed for it, very useful when the receiver was denying ever seeing it. Thanks whoever you were real man on the phone at Collect+, it was good the be reminded how helpful people can be if you ask for help.


Now the buzz of exercise has worn off and I am looking forward to next week. I am only left with that vague reminder in my tired muscles telling me that wore them out on Monday night. I wish I could go more than once a week but sadly funds don't extend that far.
In the mean time it is wonderful to be able to touch my toes again, my back has been bullied into mobility.
My core muscles are still jelly. Every day I am having to steal moments to exercise them between the childcare duties and essential menial tasks that going with trying to live in the hurried and chaotic western world.


A quick observation of the house tells me that pixies my partner and children rely on so much have been on strike. They normally bribe the little creatures to work for them but I have never found out how they do it. For some reason pixies never work for me. Now if I were a pixie what would I accept as a bribe?


FraidyKat Runs - for Pixie bribes
Food day

No comments:

Post a Comment