Search This Blog

Friday 13 June 2014

Understanding Sisyphus

King Sisyphus was a nasty old bugger, a personification of pretty much all the evils  possible under the 'corrupting nature of power' rules of life.
He was the man cursed by the Gods to push a boulder up a hill only to watch it roll back down so he had to do it all over again.
Now those Gods were hardly blameless themselves but they did have a wonderful way of inflicting torment on History's nasty people.

My latest 2.5mile run gave me an understanding of the pain Sisyphus would feel. Even without a boulder the torment of traveling up and down a hill for eternity is palpable to any runner unfortunate enough to live somewhere hilly.
There is finally a non-drug or tulip related reason to move to Holland - no hills!

Naturally, something so torturous must be good for us and we are told by so many running experts that hill training, like all the different types of interval runs, are good for us. They help to build stronger legs and improve endurance.
By that score I should be entering an Ironman competition by this time next year!
Hmm, that reminds me of the challenge for after Toughmudder - ToughGuy, a serious obstacle course run in February, fire, ice, highs and lows. Seriously HARDCORE.

But for now a much more modest target.
It's two weeks now until the Race for Life 5km Pretty Muddy. I still need to finish (ahem, start) my costume. I think we have everything we need now - I say we because wonderful partner is helping with the make - it's just finding the time to get it done. I sense a few late nights coming to get it done in time. I hope it's worth the effort.

After the Pretty Muddy comes the next step in my training. I need to incorporate strength training in with the running...
Research required.

Up and down, up and down, pounding on tarmac, sweaty, thirsty and out of breathing. Ever felt like you were stuck in a timeloop? Ever had a run that felt like it took forever to complete? Maybe it did.
If you're very unlucky you can hit the resonant frequency of the universe with your pounding, if you heart rate and step rate are just right (or wrong I suppose) you can accidently step out of time. It's hard to know when it happens, when you're concentrating on the run you can miss the signs but you need to be careful. A badly paced run can turn a 2.6mile run into a marathon, or more...

FraidyKat Runs - From Temporal Anomolies

No comments:

Post a Comment